AHS HISTORICAL MARKER: Standing at the proposed memorial site
(corner of UTA Blvd. & Cooper) are John Hall,
Finance and Campus Operations at UTA, Mac
Martin, President of the AHS Alumni Association, and board member Paul
Swartz, along with Nancy Bennett, President Arlington Preservation
JULY - 2007: SITE FOR HISTORICAL MARKER DISCUSSED!
The Arlington High Alumni Association and the Arlington Preservation
Foundation are working with The University of Texas at Arlington to
commemorate the site of the first Arlington High School (1923 – 1956) on
This fall, perhaps in time for Homecoming weekend, a memorial plaque and
a Foundation insignia will be placed in a landscaped area on the corner
of UTA Blvd. and Cooper. UTA plans to make this corner, on which
the Homemaking Cottage once stood, a park area. It is already shaded
with large trees and covered with grass.
While driving by the old AHS, if you notice the memorial has been
erected, you can find visitor parking by turning right off Cooper on the
north side of the school (now the School of Social Work). In the far
northeast corner of the lot, nearest Abram and Lampe St., there is ample
visitor parking. From there it’s a short walk to the memorial site.
A formal dedication will take place later in the fall.
Preservation Texas names Old Arlington High School to its Fourth Annual
List of Texas' Most Endangered Historic Places
AUSTIN, TEXAS...Preseration Texas
officials announced the selection on the steps of the Texas State
Capitol on February 7, Preservation Day 2007. Old Arlington High
School is among 12 sites named to the list. "Each individual listing is
threatened by possible destruction, adverse development or neglect, and
each has a compelling reason for being saved," said Libby Buuck,
president of Preservation Texas, Inc., a statewide partner of the
National Trust for Historic Preservation. "The sites represent the most
eminent needs and highest probability for positive action."
The 1922 Arlington High School site is a stable,
currently in-use site that includes the 1922 Arlington High School
academic building and the 1940 gymnasium/cafeteria. Located at 211 S.
Cooper Street, it was the largest public education facility between Fort
Worth and Dallas and it is one of the few remaining historically
important buildings in Arlington. The academic building served as the
only high school in Arlington until 1956 when a new building was
constructed at another location and the original buildings became a
junior high school. In 1968, the school district sold the campus to the
University of Texas. It has been used for classrooms and offices ever
The high school was the center of community activity and a source of
pride. It produced countless leaders who went on to successful careers
and positions of leadership in the community. But the buildings are
threatened; UTA has stated it plans to demolish the facility for
redevelopment purposes, having demolished another historic building on
The building could be adapted to any number of functions such as a
community-friendly information center; a repository of information of
the history of AHS and the University; a conference space; an office
space; condominiums; lofts; senor housing; and or an art center or
ARLINGTON HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
GIVING BACK TO AHS AND PROMOTING THE SPIRIT, PRIDE AND TRADITION OF COLTS - PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE.
OUR PRIMARY GOAL IS TO FOSTER AND SUPPORT EDUCATIONAL AND RELATED ACTIVITIES OF ARLINGTON HIGH SCHOOL
AND THE ARLINGTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT.
How Sweet It Is
To Be Back In Colt